Thursday, June 12, 2014

Pinterest Experiment: DIY Jewelry Cleaner

I keep seeing that DIY Jewelry Cleaner post that has been going around on facebook and pinterest. I kept thinking I would get to it. I kept telling myself "oh, I'll just keep going to the jewelry store to get it done" (which, don't get me wrong, I'll still do!) BUT after seeing it for the 10,204th time, I decided I would give it a try, couldn't hurt right? It's not too hard, add things into the bowl in hot water, wait, wash, and dry.


DIY Jewelry Cleaner
1 Tablespoon Salt
1 Tablespoon Baking Soda
1 Tablespoon Dish Soap (I used Dawn)
1 Cup Water
Aluminium Foil


  1. Heat your water in the microwave for 1-2 minutes to get it warm.
  2. Put a piece of foil into the bottom of the bowl (yes, weird I know but you would have to ask the "geek" of the house about this and it's chemical reaction thing that I don't understand!)
  3. Add the water, being careful as it is hot!
  4. Add in the salt, baking soda, and dish soap.
  5. Drop your ring into the bowl onto the aluminum foil
  6. Set timer for 5-10 minutes and let your ring set
  7. Dig out your ring, being careful as your water might still be wet and run it under cold water in your sink (might want to make sure you do it with the drain clogged or on the strain side, can never be too safe as it "might" drop and you don't want to have to deal with that!)
  8. Dry it with a soft cloth (I used a wash cloth!)
  9. Stand back and admire your ring!





Before:




After:



 The pictures are kind of hard to see the difference in as the lighting in them are different! I tried to get the same but it just wasn't working for me! My ring is not as shiny as it gets after handing it over to the jeweler to clean, BUT for when I can't get to the jeweler, THIS WORKS! The diamonds look more shiny and the ring looks much cleaner than it did before! I'm thinking if I get a date night or have a special occasion coming up, I will be doing this as I am getting ready so my ring can shine a bit brighter :) 

Have you tried this DIY Jewelry Cleaner before? Did you have the same results? Let me know! I'm curious to know if everyone has the same kind of luck!







No comments:

Post a Comment