Wednesday, May 22, 2013

I HAD SHINGLES!

I wanted to share part of the reason I hadn't been posting recently. Yes, it is just another excuse since I know it didn't last that long! I have just been slacking again! 

One morning I woke up with a rash on my face....


I had used my daughter's detangler the night before so I figured I was having an allergic reaction. Not something I haven't had. It was in my scalp and a bit itchy in the hair there but it just made sense. The issue? I took a shower to make sure all the detangler was out and the rash was still there. In fact, it started to get a bit worse! By Saturday, I was starting to think I had a boil on my face! All the spots started to get worse! I had a doctor's appointment anyways that Monday so I decided to ask her about it. 

This is about the worst that it got, thank goodness!


The doctor right away told me it was shingles. Me? Seriously?!?! Of course I would get it! Thing is 1 in 3 people will get shingles in their lifetime. I didn't really know anyone that had had shingles. After posting about me having shingles, about 20 of my friends said they had it before too! I was not alone! The good news is that for the most part its not contagious. All my kids have had the chicken pox vaccine so it couldn't effect them. My husband has had chicken pox so it wouldn't effect him. The bad news was that there was still a chance to give it to anyone who hasn't had the vaccine or the chicken pox. So, I ended up not leaving the house for almost a week. I went to church and stayed away from people and made sure not to scratch! 


Here is a picture of the pills I had to take 3 times a day. I haven't taken a pill this big before! I felt like I might as well be swallowing that quarter!!!!


I have a new perspective for those who have had shingles. I was lucky. From having it on my face, I didn't have my clothes rubbing on it or irritating it. I just dealt with the flu like symptoms. Some people have it even better and some have it really bad. Most people will only get it once, but some people have the chance to have it many times. I have a friend who is only 25 who has had it 3 times now! Now I know what it looks like, so hopefully if it happens again to me, I will be able to get it taken care of faster!

No comments:

Post a Comment