Monday, November 18, 2013

Monday Freezer Meal Recipe- Spaghetti Sauce

I have been trying to think of ways to get myself to keep getting posts up. One thought is to have a post scheduled for a certain day of the week and then hopefully I will keep up with it. I have decided that I am going to try and do Freezer Meal recipe on Monday! I like making freezer meals and I think it would help me to make one once a week so that way we would have food in the freezer so it would be less likely for me to make the excuse to go out to eat!

Hopefully I will be able to take the pictures and process all out for you too but it depends on 1) If I remember and 2) If I don't have complete help from all three of my kiddos! This week, I am going to share one that can be used and made very easily, Spaghetti Sauce! I love using it to make stuffed shells, which I will share next week!

First the wonderful pictures, THEN I'll tell you how to do it all :)









Spaghetti Sauce
Adapted from Once A Month Cooking Family Favorites By Mimi Wilson and Mary Beth Lagerborg

1 onion, chopped
1 lb mild Italian Sausage
1 6-oz can tomato paste, then fill half full with warm water, stir then dump it in
1 28-oz crushed tomato in puree
1 cup tomato sauce (if you don't have any or forget it, just add a bit extra water)
2 tsp chopped or minced garlic (add more if you like the flavor!)
2 bay leaves (I crush them up so that they are harder to find when eating if you don't take them out)
1 tbl sugar
2 tsp fennel seeds
1-3 tsp Italian seasoning
2 tbl fresh parsley, finely chopped (this can be omitted too if you don't have it or forget)
1 tsp salt
2-4 1-quart freezer bags

To Make:
1) Start by browning the sausage in a large pot.
2) While it's cooking, chop up the onion, then add it to the sausage
3) When done, drain then put back on stove
4) Add in all the other ingredients and stir.
5) Bring to a boil.
6) Lower the heat and simmer for 30 mins while partly covered.
7) Allow the sauce to cool.
8) LABEL your 1 quart freezer bags.
9) Fill the bags as full as you think you will need
10) Put into the freezer

To Thaw:
Put a 1 quart bag of spaghetti sauce in the fridge overnight.
Heat thoroughly and serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment